Monday, February 12, 2007

Sad State of Affairs

Torture is wrong. It is devastating to the person being tortured. And as we see here, it is devastating to the person doing the torturing.

I have never said that the Bush administration is evil. This story, though, bothers me greatly. It is despicable to treat humans beings in this manner. It is despicable to force other human beings to do the dirty work. Behind them, this administration leaves broken lives, Iraqi and American.

Whether you believe we should have invaded Iraq or not, the conduct of this war is beyond incompetent. It is a disaster. It is a festering sore on America's soul.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I was to deprive the detainee of sleep during my 12-hour shift by opening his cell every hour, forcing him to stand in a corner and stripping him of his clothes."

Man, then I accuse my 1 year old son Christopher of torturing me. He literally woke me up crying every hour from 11pm to 7a.m. the other night foricing me to get up every time. And, it pretty much happens every night. Sleep deprivation is not pleasant treatment, I can attest. We have major sleep deprivation issues at our house. Seamhead, I hear you on this. Seems like when we hear stories of how savage the vietnamese were to our prisoners, we look the other way on our own. The biggest issue I have is the fact that it's obvious that these things are known and probably directed by higher levels, but some peon sgt. ends up as a scapegoat.

--howdy

Seamhead said...

This man is an example. They asked him to do things that will haunt him for the rest of his life. But the leaders who are responsible clamber blissfully over the lives of people like him.

Anonymous said...

My wife was tortured by the 1 yr old last night and the night prior. And yet this infant scoffs us with his mischevious smiles while tormenting us with his devious sleep deprivation methods. Even the sleep clinic can not cure his ill-natured ways thus far. We have labeled him "Christopher the Mischiefer".