Wednesday, September 06, 2006

ABC Pushes Right Wing Myths

Tell ABC to tell the truth about 9/11 - A project of ThinkProgress.org

The New ABC movie "The Truth About 9/11" is not going to be the truth at all. It is purportedly based on the Report of the 9/11 Commission. However, some of the scenes directly contradict the report.

Any doubt about the true goal of this piece is swept away when one considers the who received advanced copies. Former President Clinton was denied a copy. Obfuscator-in-Chief, Rush Limbaugh, however, received a copy.

A key scene of the movie points to the failings of the Clinton administration. Former Anti-Terrorism Chief Richard Clarke points out the scene is entirely fiction. In fact, the scene is based on a right-wing myth that the Clinton administration had the opportunity to kill Bin Laden and backed down.

Sandy Berger never said the things his character says in this movie. The instance alluded to in this scene was called off by the CIA Director George Tenet who was appointed before Clinton was President. They could not confirm the intelligence, so he called off the attack on Bin Laden. There is no way to know if this call was right in this instance or not, but shooting missiles based on single-source intelligence is not a good idea.

There are more errors in this movie: enough to make you question the motives of the folks who produced it.

A prime time television analysis of this important event needs to be free from partisan stain. To foist this fictionalized piece on the American people is more than a disservice. It is un-American. It will only serve to deepen the divides that have grown so wide under the Bush administration.

**most of the links above are from Thinkprogress.org
**if you follow these links you will find them well-sourced

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am most likely the one person who reads this blog pretty regularly that is the least interested in the political talk between the others on this blog...please don't hold it against me. I just don't follow things as closely as Rog, Myron, Dave and Jeff. I do enjoy some of the bantering though. I don't know the details of the political happenings like you all do. I think I am a pretty simple, small town girl with pretty simple ideas of the way (I think) things should be. I don't know what the 9/11 Commission Report says , nor do I know who is at fault for the attacks on 9/11. I only have my opinion to offer so here it goes... I think it is a sad sad day in the United States when a TV movie is made about one of the most heartbreaking days certainly in my life and the lives of many people generations before me. There is a series on one of the cable channels (TLC or something like that) that is focused on the survivors and the families that lost loved ones in the 9/11 attacks. Shouldn't that be the focus...the people who have suffered terrible losses? Do I think that our government should be held accountable for any and all mistakes that made that attack possible? Absolutely! Do I think our government needs to figure out what happen in order to stop it from happening again? Absolutely! I also think making a TV movie about what some politicians did or did not do is (to use one of Rog's words) ludicris!! Spend the money that was spent on this movie to help people heal, to help those that lost in this attack find a little happiness. I will not watch this movie and neither will my children, not because it is so far to one side or the other but just simply because it was made.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I meant to sign the previous post.

Misti