Thursday, June 28, 2007

Sometimes when I'm Falling, Flying . . .

Did you see it last night? It was fantastic. The Library of Congress honored a hero of mine. Paul Simon was given the first Gershwin Prize for Popular Song. A fantastic array of artists from numerous genres were on hand to perform versions of Paul Simon songs.

Since my youthful discovery of my parents' "Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits" cassette, Paul Simon's music has been an integral part of the soundtrack of my life. I have sung Simon and Garfunkel tunes with many of my oldest friends. I sat in the very top row of the Fox Theater with one of those old friends while the songs from "Graceland" and the smell of marijuana washed over us.

A few years later, I went to what was then called Riverport with a bigger group of friends for the "Rhythm of the Saints" tour. My favorite song that day was a fantastic version of "An American Tune."

Now, I haven't seen Paul Simon live since that day at Riverport. But his last album has a song that really speaks to me. It's called "Father and Daughter."

I'm gonna watch you shine
Gonna watch you grow
Gonna paint a sign
So you'll always know
As long as one and one is two
There could never be a father
Who loved his daughter more than I love you

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seamhead,

"Who's Paul Simon? What does he sing?" -Howdy 198x(4?)

Thanks for the free ticket that night. I too saw him again at Riverport several years ago,though not as long ago as the first time..again free seats which weren't front row, but not lawn seats either.

My wife and I watched this on Channel 9 PBS last night (Sat night). I think it was a replay from Wed night. Great Tribute.

"Father and Daughter" is a great song. Michelle hadn't heard it before. I had, but I couldn't remember if it was one of his older ones or newer ones. All of his songs are great. They're for the ages. Thought of you too as I was watching.

Here's to memories we've had as friends and those we have yet to create with our families.

Happy and Safe 4th of July,

-Howdy

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

Speaking of fathers and daughters, Bethany and I received our official Log-in-Date at the Chinese Center for Adoption Affairs last Friday. In about 18 months, I will be the proud father to a Chinese-born daughter.

My deepest thanks to Howdy for emailing me the contact info for Children's Hope International many months ago. We owe you one, my friend.

Do you think I should name her "Howdy" or "Paulie Shields"?

Anonymous said...

Blog Daddy,

Congrats!

Either would make a good TV or Movie Personality name.

Isn't networking amazing? I mean both socially and electronically. Here we've never met in person, yet through our mutual friendship with Seamhead and his initiative to start this Blog, great things are happening. Also, let me tell you again how impressed I am with your story of financial freedom. Maybe it's all in pre-destined fate, but at times it seems to me that we can make our own destiny by the choices we make. One good choice leads to another.

Howdy

P.S. There's a Chidren's Hope Family Reunion this Sat in St. Louis. It's an annual event that about 1300 people are attending this year. You may find yourself at one of these in the future. It's a way the adopting families can get their kids together to see each other again as many of these kids come from the same orphanages.