Friday, January 21, 2005

Question about the Tigers

Already my blog has provoked the kind of repartee that I hoped it would. My friend Andy has questioned why I didn't solicit Missouri Basketball conversations. I must confess it wasn't an oversight. A different day, a different week, I would have listed them right there after the Cards. But not this week.

I think it was in 1981 when we went to the Checkerdome and watched the Tigers upset Denny Crum's Louisville Cardinals. I remember that Mark Dressler had a huge game. It was one of the many peaks in my life as a Tiger fan. When you're a Tiger fan though, the valleys sometimes come upon you fast with little warning.

The current valley makes me strangely nostalgic for the days of Stormin' Norman. The number of teams that make it to a final four isn't large. The number of coaches with championship rings is tiny. It's not an easy thing. You are competeing against a hundred or so of the most motivated basketball minds in the country. Maybe we should have cut Norm a little more slack. It's not settling for mediocrity to recognize achievement. Besides, Norm always managed to fry us up a little Jayhawk every now and again.

So, if you are a Tiger fan, click on the comments and leave a favorite memory of watching the Tigers. You can register or click on the 'post anonymously' link to leave a comment.

I think my favorite memory was AP's baseline dunk against OU on the day Norm fell ill.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my favorite game was any game where the tigers put it on the chickenhawks. nothing like hearing "rock chaulk chickenhawk &*^% KU. that brings a smile to my face everyday.

Anonymous said...

My favorite memory in Hearnes Center was partying all night and watching the Troy Boys and Girls at State back in the glory days!

I still read about the current H.S. games in the O'Fallon Journal. Must say I'm disappointed that Troy Buchanan High School website is not up to date on anything let alone sports. I would think this could be an easy class project to keep going. How about one of you Troy educational employees working on that?

--Howdy

Seamhead said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Seamhead said...

Heck yeah, I'm with Howdy on that school website. That would be fun for students and alumni both.

I guess my favorite Hearnes Center highlight was Lou's 30-footer that slammed off the backboard in the third-place game. Or maybe it was me fouling out of that same game by nearly knocking a guy unconscious.