Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Good Day

Today, I escaped from the ranks of the unemployed. About three o'clock this afternoon I received a call offering me a position at the very medical center where my pathologist brother toils away his weekdays. Indeed, it's the job the Shelly and I desired the most. Another prayer answered.

Also today, I found myself mentioned on Andy's blog. It's always a good feeling to be remembered by your friends. In his blog, Andy muses about when a person has the right to speak for someone whose experience he does not share. For instance, I could offer my opinion about the quality of a certain hair stylist, but my opinion wouldn't have much weight. Certainly I wouldn't want Andy making statements on behalf of bald men.

But some people have no voice. Someone needs to speak for them. Someone needs to hear their voices even when they are just a whisper. So, Andy, I would say one needs to do more than presume to speak for others. One needs to seek out their whispers and amplify them.

3 comments:

Andy B. said...

Hey Rog,
Congratulations on the job. I know that's a big relief.
Here's another example of that whole speaking for others thing. When you say "The Royals suck" it means something way different than when I do!
AB

DLS said...

Well, so much for the golf game. Now that you are employed, you won't have the opportunity to improve your game. You'll be stuck in the ranks of "mediocre hacker" like the rest of us.

Seriously...Congrats and good luck.

Seamhead said...

I probably won't have much time to muse at work now. But It'll be easier to muse from home now.