Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Welcome Back to the Same Old Place that You Laughed About

Another four inches of snow dropped on Chatham today. Winter has reached farther into the calendar this year. March has always been a blustery, sunny, and rainy month with rare snowfalls. A couple in our church celebrated sixty years of marriage this week. The husband told the congregation, "It rained and snowed and sleeted and was sunny that day." If ever a day predicted the joys and calamities encountered on the marriage trek, their March wedding day would be the one.

Not too many days ago, about three inches of snow dropped on our fair city. I was at work while Jack Frost worked his magic, and I arrived home to find our driveway already cleared of snow. I knew that the girls would be home shortly after me. Grabbing a shovel I puttered around the driveway. When the van pulled in, I wearily removed my cap and wiped my brow attempting to evoke the illusion that I had cleared the drive. My wife has been married to me for almost a decade now. She did not believe for a second that I had shoveled the drive.

Today, we returned the favor. After shoveling our driveway, we shoveled a couple extra ones including the one owned by the person suspected of stealing the snow from our driveway not too many days ago. As we shoveled, the girls played in the snow pausing occasionally to fire snowballs at me. For an hour or so the edge was off my intense desire to see winter blow away on the spring breezes.

No comments: