Friday, May 06, 2005

Mulholland Drive

Blog Daddy was able to rent some movies this week. Shelly and I both watched Napoleon Dynamite. I watched Mulholland Drive while she slept.

I have thought about Mulholland Drive for a couple days. It was a good flick. I'm a big David Lynch fan. I think the whole movie is Diane Selwyn's fantasy or dream. After she wakes up I think we see the reality that brought about her fantasy. I believe she had Camilla killed in reality. In her dream, Camilla survived, Diane re-entered her life with a new identity. I loved the Silencio scene. I'm not sure of the scene's meaning though. I'll keep thinking about it.

Napoleon Dynamite as a good flick too. Tons of laughs in that movie. Thanks for the suggestions.

**UPDATE** In the Silencio scene, Rebekah Del Rio does a Spanish version of Crying that is amazing. It is called Llorando. You can hear a clip of it here.

5 comments:

RWP said...

It sounds as though you may have also watched Kill Bill. If so, what did you think?

Seamhead said...

oh yeah, I did watch Kill Bill. I forgot about that. I enjoyed that one too. It doesn't measure up to Pulp Fiction but it was funny. I'm looking forward to Kill Bill 2.

RWP said...

Volume 2 is the better of the two. Volume 1 has great music.

RWP said...

Regarding Mulholland Drive, I have read many reviews and viewers interpretations of the movie and you are in agreement with most of them - Diane had Camilla killed and the movie consists of many flashbacks and dream/fantasy sequences. I think the silencio scene may represent her conscience.

Seamhead said...

I was thinking it may be her soul.

Yes, I think the whole movie was fantasy until she wakes. Then you get to see she got the name of her fantasy self from her waitress. You get to see the way Camilla tormented her.

An interestng scene is when the smiling Airport people come back all tiny and chase her. What is that about?