Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Jeff the Bird Dog

Jeff reads my post about the Cardinals and responds that he too is delighted that the spring bird watching season is upon us. He's never heard of this 'Pujols' species of which I speak so highly.

This brings us to an important point on this blog. We need to figure out where Jeff grew up. Did he really grow up amongst us so near to Busch stadium? How did he develop this apathy for everything Cardinal with us all around him?

One of my great memories from high school was in the fall of 1985. I guess Jeff had gone off to college by then. After school one October afternoon we raced over to Brenda's house to watch the end of the playoff game between our beloved Cardinals and the Dodgers. I'm not sure who all was there, but we were crowded in the basement hanging on every pitch.

This was the day that Ozzie hit his first left-handed home run ever to beat the Dodgers in Game 5. Jack Clark would homer to beat them in Game 6 sending the Birds on to the World series.

Do you guys have memories like these? Does Jeff? I think he may be an alien.

I have many, many more memories like these. I think ,soon, I will relate to you the ole' Milt Thompson Broken Bat game on here. I think it was Myron that was with me that night.

4 comments:

Seamhead said...

Jeff, I like listening on the radio almost as much as watching. I especially loved it when Jack Buck was alive. I thought about getting satellite radio so I could listen to more. Luckily, moving to Springfield will probably make it easier for me to get the games on the radio. It will also make it easier for me to go to some games.

I am glad to find out you're not an alien. I would like you to post some tales of your atheletic . . . um . . . prowess. I can't seem to recall any.

I still love going to baseball games. Any baseball games. The CMSU team is really good, and we go watch them play a lot. Willa loves it.

DLS said...

I must tell the only story I have about Jeff's athletic prowess. One day at baseball practice, I was shagging balls in the outfield of the big diamond at Troy with Jeff at the plate (I wasn't playing very deep). I have no idea what possessed him for a brief point in time, but he caught a pitch right on the sweet part of the bat (or the right part of a hurricane jetstream) and sent it out over the left-center field wall. None of us had come remotely close to hitting a ball that far.

I remember nothing else from the season other than the fact that I actually had to pitch some games.

[Long pause to let Roger have time to collect himself]

[Waiting]

[Oh, c'mon Rog, it wasn't THAT funny]

OK...there it is...my "Jeff as an athlete" story.

Seamhead said...

Holy crap Dave, I've got knot on my head. I must have passed out. I'm gonna have to get confirmation of this tale. This smells like a whopper. I don't remember Jeff mentioning this before. It seems it would be emblazoned on his memory.

I've gotta get an ice pack.

Anonymous said...

I remember this story of Jeff and the long ball. It is true just the way Dave describes. Every athlete knows and remembers the feeling when we are in what is called the "ZONE". Well that is proof that Jeff experienced the "ZONE" for about 10 seconds.

To add to this story while Dave was shagging fly balls in the outfield I myself was in the dugout. I found I spent a lot of time in the dugout that season, but that is not the point. Jeff hits the ball over the fence just as the other team arrives at the ballpark and sees this awesome display of true power. Instantly the opposing pitcher starts to review strategy to his catcher about this manchild in our lineup. And this is a quote..." Remind me, that guy gets nothing but curve balls tonight. Imagine the look on his face when Jeff stepped up to the plate..... batting 8th in the lineup.

Sweetlou