Wednesday, March 02, 2005

That's a Winner

Well, it's on us. The single game tickets go on sale Saturday. Cardinal fever has been creeping up my face ever since the pitchers and catchers reported. The winter hibernation is almost over. I'm waking from my dreams of Rick Ankiel tossing strike after strike.

Of course, I am optimistic. The four game sweep in the series was tough (especially since I was going to game 5). But I think they can make it back and give it another crack.

They must stay healthy. Pujols, Rolen, and Edmonds need to play as many games as possible and be healthy when the playoffs roll around.

They must get some good starting pitching. The three biggest keys will be Mulder, Carpenter, and Morris. Can Mulder rebound? Can Carpenter stay healthy and pitch as he did last season? Will Morris rebound the way Duncan and LaRussa believe?

In some ways it doesn't even matter. I'll watch as much as I can even if they aren't playoff bound. It's worth it to see the effort that Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, and Walker will put out on a daily basis. That truly is a special group of players.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff--On bird watching, Wade and I have seen Missouri Blue Birds here. The real deal, not the Blue Jay version. You know, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" type. Many finches and the like also. Woodpeckers too, though not as silly as the hen imitator you saw.

I think I am the "bear" you described. I don't know why you think that is so cool though. But, apprecaite your admiration of my unique ability to slumber and slow metabolism in winter. A book that Wade enjoys is "Bear Snores On". It's a story about several animals who sneak into Bear's den and have a party while he snores on. When he awakes, he wants to party too. While Bear keeps partying, all of his animal friends fall asleep because they have already partied so long prior to his awakening. Good book. You party animals.

--Howdy