Monday, February 28, 2005

On Old-Time Music

Yesterday, I ventured over to the old one-room school house that the Johnson County Historical Society has restored. Every Sunday afternoon they have an old-time music jam there. I don't get over there often enough.

Yesterday we had a banjo player, a mandolin player, a couple of fiddlers, a standup bass, three guitars, an autoharp, and the lady with the harmonica collection. What a wonderful time we had.

The music we play is from before the time when most Americans could write. It was a time when history and legends where passed using music. People have gone to great lengths to record and document this old music. The movie Songcatcher is a great example of this. If you haven't seen it check it out. (Iris Dement is in this movie.)

Some of the people at the Jam session know the history of their favorite songs. When it is their turn to pick a song they'll also tell the story. We'll play the song in a bluegrass style. That means you play it through singing verse and chorus. Then play it through again with instruments taking the lead. You do this over again until all the verses are exhausted. Plus we play old fiddle tunes where there is no singing, just instruments taking their turns on lead.

This week I'm going to venture over to the music store and buy a collection of these songs. I just don't know enough of them. But I can't wait to learn.

Jeff, if you're ever near the 'Burg on a Sunday afternoon, give me a call. I've got a guitar you can borrow.

1 comment:

Seamhead said...

Yeah, Jeff, I haven't made it to one of these in almost 3 months. Everytime I go I think there's now way I can be too busy for this. It's so much fun.

I'm looking forward to Paulie's show this Friday. I might post something about it.