Thursday, February 24, 2005

The Sick One

I spent the day at home with our sick 16-month old, Isa. She took a three hour nap on my chest. I hate it when she's sick, but I love it when she sleeps on me. She woke up feeling better, more like her little spunky self.

This evening I went out to give some guitar lessons and returned home to find some good repartee between Jeff and Myron in the comments of the "Meet Willa" post. They were basically talking about 'Nature vs. Nurture.'

Now, I'm not an education or early childhood expert like those two. (I'm sure that Myron's wife and mine would both have something to say, too.) But when I think about 'Nature vs. Nurture' as it applies to my children, I just want to be able think that I nurtured them enough that they had every opportunity to use all that nature gave them.

And who did I nurture today? In twenty years Isa will not remember today. I will. I will always remember the feeling of holding the warm little baby on my chest. I will be reminded of it someday when the grandchildren come along.

For Isa, our time took care of some of the needs that have to be fulfilled if she's going to be able to reach her potential. For me, it was more spiritual. It was more of a completion of my being.

1 comment:

Seamhead said...

Definitely getting her drunk works. I've done that a couple times.