Tuesday, March 08, 2005

My Grandpa

Yesterday, my friend Boz sent me a link to a great column about World War II veterans. On the surface this may not seem like much. But I thought this blog would be a perfect place to tell you what Boz has done for my family and my Grandpa.

My Grandpa was a POW during World War II. He didn't like to talk about it much. He did show us a little book that he wrote in while he was in the prison camp. I remember seeing line after line of the foods he loved to eat. That's about all I knew.

Then I was talking to Boz one day and discovered he was involved in a project looking to document the stories of these POWs. He told me that he interviewed the POW and added his account to the archives. I decided it would great if my Grandpa was able to give his story to Boz.

Boz interviewed my Grandpa and put together a transcript for him to review. My Grandpa reviewed it. I found out the last time I was home that he will be getting a bound copy. Everyone in our family will be able check it out.

So I just want to say, Boz, you the man. I'm really looking forward to reading that transcript.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great that these stories are beind captured. Both of my grandfathers were in WWII, but neither would talk about it. One of them was a tank mechanic in the army. The other who served in the Navy was awarded The Purple Heart for being injured in action. My brother did some research after my grandpa died and found out he served on an LCI (Landing Craft Infantry) ship. Somehow, my brother tracked down a senior officer who lead the ship on the day my grandpa was injured. My brother was able to obtain pages from the ship's log and references to my grandpa the day he sustained the injuries in action. He had taken over an anti-aircraft gun after the gunner was shot. The gun then overheated in battle and exploded casting shrapnel throughout my grandfather's chest, arms, and hand. I still remember the way his fingers curled under from the injury. But, he would never talk about war stories. Good that these are captured. By the way...a great Hollywood war movie is Memphis Belle and the documentary made after the Hollywood movie is just as good.--Howdy

Seamhead said...

It is great that they are getting these stories. I can't wait to read it.

Boz also spent some time getting stories from former Negro Leaguers as well. Those would be great stories I'm sure. I'd be interested to hear the tales of when they played the barnstorming whites from the Major Leagues. I saw Buck O'Neill talk on campus here once. It was facinating.

Seamhead said...

I have lobbied for a 'boz presence' myself. I think I shall repeat my efforts today.