Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I wish I may, I wish I might . . .

On Saturday night as we lay down to sleep, my lovely bride peered out the window.

"A falling star! I saw one streak across the sky! I better make a wish."

I just began thinking how wonderful it is to wish on a falling star when she exclaimed again, "Another one! I saw another one!"

I began to think of MD and his meteor storms. How odd that she could see one of those in the little piece of sky visible from our bedroom window. It seemed a little too fantastic for me.

Then, dejected, my wife said, "Oh no, it was only lightening bugs."

After what my wife claimed to be an hour of shrieking laughter, I was able to say in the same manner a child talks between sobs, "You . . . . Wished . . . . . On . . . . . a . . . . Lightening . . . . . Bug!" And then another 30 minutes of shrieking laughter ensued.

I guess a few lightening bugs can really throw a Wisconsin girl for a loop. She claims they don't have many up there. I wonder if the Wisconsin readership can confirm this for us. I'm a little suspicious.

I am left wondering what happens when you wish on a lightening bug? Tonight, I'm gonna wish on a street light.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what Roger is going to wish for on his "streetlight" and it is SO not going to come true. At least my intentions were pure. I was in my truest form that night, and I am a little glad you all know me better. A LITTLE. Thanks, Roger.

Shelly :)!

Andy B. said...

Dear Shelly,
Reading Roger's story, I actually felt your unmitigated dejection as you realized your star was just a bug. I want you to know that I am here for you, if you need to talk.

Seeing a bug and thinking it is a star is a great example of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. Now, if you had seen the stars and thought they were a bunch of bugs, I would have been really worried.
Glowingly,
Andy B.

Violent Farmer said...

I've wished on a toilet many times.

Seamhead said...

Wishing that you're head wasn't in the toilet isn't the same thing as wishing ON a toilet.