Monday, June 27, 2005

A Week of Goodbyes

We sat in a circle in the old one-room schoolhouse on Sunday picking some old-time music. I never made it to play with these good folk as often as I would've liked. And Sunday was the last opportunity before we move away.

We meandered through all of everyone's old favorites. I picked 'Bury Me Beneath the Willow' and 'Down in the River to Pray' for my last couple of picks. I was thrilled when Herb picked 'Eight more miles to Louisville.' Lisa went against the norm and pulled out Creedence's 'Down on the Corner' since the lyrics are eerily reminiscent of life in Warrensburg.

At the end of it they asked me to share a 'signature' song. So I was able to share Guy Clark's song, 'The Cape' with them. (If you ever get a chance to sing a song in Warrensburg's old, one-room schoolhouse you should do it. The acoustics in there are incredible. Even I sound decent in there.)

We shared, and then we said goodbye.

This week will be full of goodbyes for the girls and me. Goodbye to places and faces we've loved. Goodbye to the sights and sounds of the 'Burg. Every time we visit someone or someplace we'll think, "Will this be the last time?" (Thank God. They have custard shops in Springfield.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have been here 14 years. We have gone to school, moved countless times, learned how to be grown-ups, bought our first house, got married, had babies, got "real" jobs and have made the most wonderful friends. We have each been here 14 years, and have been on the same team for 10. Although we are bursting with excitement at our new adventures and finally being close to our families, whom we have missed terribly, we are mourning the loss of Warrensburg. If you talk to us and hear our voices sing with anticipation, yet get short and crabby with you in the next sentence, know that we are just going through a temporary grieving process.

Even making chocolate chip cookies can be messy and stressful, but the end result is melt-in-your-mouth love. I am looking forward to making those cookies for my "need to get to know you better" family members and mailing some more to those we have more miles between.

Thank you to everyone who has endured this process with us and offered their generosity and compassion. Happy trails to us! We love you all.

Shelly :)!

Seamhead said...

and we'll miss you too, Skeeter. And not just for your antics. And not just because you can't beat Willa at Junior Monopoly. And not just because I like pounding you at golf. But you make a good beer too.

Seriously though, I'm glad we could help. I think soon you'll find some smooth sailing, buddy. And I know when we need you you're there. We appreciate that.

Peace.

Andy B. said...

Hey Phillipss,
How do you write the plural of Phillips?

You know what you mean to the Bryan family here in KC. I don't need to say anything to clarify that. What I do need to say is, when Shelly perfects the method for Chocolate Chip cookie mailing, I call dibs!

Andy B.

zatchary said...

Rog, Shelly, Willa, and Isa,

Mandy, Ansley, and I are going to miss you guys. I think had you guys stayed the girls could've been good friends. I am so happy for you guys and the opportunities you will have living closer to family.

Roger, I hope you find someone who appreciates competition as much as you and Skeeter and I. It was fun man, good luck.